So swinging a show with a baby is tricky, because often times I have gotten very little to NO notice that I am needed. We have an Emergency Phone Tree for this occasion, and friends have been amazing at caring for Elliot at the last minute.
On one of these occasions recently, I realized my best plan was to take Elliot over to my best friend's house. She lives very close to the theatre, and so I was going to have Elliot go to sleep over there, and I would pick him up on the way home. This is what we did.
So 11 PM, I roll into my garage, post-show, with my sleepy, pajama-clad baby in my arms. Just as the elevator doors are closing to take us upstairs, a neighbor jumps in. We haven't met, but she gives Elliot and I a mini-side eye... I'm thinking "Well, I have my infant out in his pajamas at 11 PM, clearly she is curious." So I comment "I was working tonight. My best friend was watching him for me, and now we're on our way home." She smiles, we exchange some more small talk, and I think "Well, I'm glad I explained myself." She gets off the elevator at the floor below us.
We get off on our floor, step out to walk the hallway, and I catch sight of myself in the mirror. False lashes, purple and orange eyeshadow up TO MY EYEBROWS, bright red cheeks, bright red lips, crazy trashy hair (from being under a wig all night.)
OH. My. word. I play an, ahem, Woman of Loose Morals in my show. In my haste to get to my friend's to pick up Elliot, I have left all my INSANE theatre make up on.
I think back quickly to the Neighbor's Side-Eye.
I very strongly suspect my neighbor thinks that when I referred to "working" I meant, "working the streets."
Oh my.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Oh what the neighbors must think...
Posted by lady gray at 3:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












5 comments:
I'm dying right now!
You crack me up. Seriously. Tears. :)
Love it!!
This just made my morning! Hysterical! I am so glad you're blogging again! :)
HA! Awesome.
Post a Comment