Monday, May 31, 2010

At this moment, 2 years ago...


I was asleep. Because I didn't yet have my sweet son, who likes to wake me up at ungodly hours. :) However, on this DAY 2 years ago, I got pretty darn lucky. I married my best friend.

My husband and I have what I think is a unique past in that we truly were FRIENDS first. I don't think many people in this day and age experience that anymore. And we were friends for 2 and a half years before we started dating. For a while there the lines were blurry (lots of nights

spent up talking, lots and LOTS of time together, many phone calls) but there was no monkey business until we were ready to actually date.

I remember calling one of my best girlfriends -Hi Billie! - FREAKING out that he might be a bad kisser. It was clear that some kissing was finally on the horizon, and what if he weren't good at it?! What if my best friend, who I was in love with, was a horrible kisser?! Seems silly now (and the worries were completely unfounded, btw, woot woot!) but the kissing was a small indication of what my real worry was: would I lose this amazing friendship, this person who had become SO important in my life, if the romance didn't work?

Generally, dating someone is to get to know them. To find out what they are about, and to decide whether or not the dating should continue and progress. We already knew everything there was to know about each other as friends, so a decision to date was not taken lightly. We knew

if we dated, it would be pretty serious from the get-go. And it was, the DAY after we started "dating" - I met his parents. And the best part is? The date to meet his parents had been set up for several days previous. (Clearly, lines were blurry.)

Then, two years ago today (following an AMAZING "Shock and Awe" proposal, a story I will save for another day) I married him. My friend of many years then boyfriend, then fiance became my husband.

And our wedding day was near-perfect. The only problem? How QUICKLY the day flew by. I want to do it over time and time again. It was such a perfect indication of who we are, thanks to all of the friends and family who gave us the gift of being a part of that day. This is one of those times I wish I had a certain grey Delorean parked in my driveway... just so I could zip back and visit the day again.

But this little guy is taking a nap, and I can't wait to see his face when he wakes up... so I guess I'll stick around. :)

I love you Eric. (and our Elliot!)


1 comments:

Rsgrl said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Post a Comment