So tonight I was washing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, and admiring the fact that I could keep such a good eye on my newly mobile son while getting so much housework done. Only a 1/2 wall separates the kitchen from the living room/dining area, and it's literally right behind the sink. So I can wash dishes for days and watch him pull himself along the carpet.
I was feeling so darn pleased with myself, and thinking "Man, I'm totally handling this. I'm getting stuff done, Elliot is totally happy exploring, and I'm a Rock Star Mama." Then I noticed that he was spending a suspicious amount of time under his highchair... with his back to me so I couldn't quite see what he was doing. I thought, oh well, if he finds a stray puff he can just nom on it, what do I care?
So I finish up cleaning the kitchen, get Elliot's dinner all ready, and go to put him in the high chair. He looks up at me with a big grin... and a strange black ooze all over his cheek, chin, and hands. Like, a disgusting black substance that appears that it has made it's way INTO HIS MOUTH. Then I see, clutched in his wee fist, a blackened, gummy chunk of banana... from breakfast... yesterday.
Whoops.
and... grooossssss.
Man. Just when I thought I had it all handled, my child ends up eating fruit that has been sitting on the mat under his highchair for OVER A DAY. A piece of fruit that was so dirty, bruised and gooey I had to struggle to recognize what it was. I mean, he was no worse for wear, he seemed completely delighted. And this wasn't even the worst thing to make it into his mouth so far (ahem... those of you who follow me on Facebook might remember the "hairball" incident. oh yesss.)
But seriously, who among us has time to clean the mat under the highchair? I'm still trying to catch up to the oodles and oodles of laundry spilling out of my hamper and onto the floor. My husband needs clean underwear more than I need to be crawling around underneath the highchair. Literally the ONLY thing I manage to get clean daily is the kitchen, and that's because (ironically) I can't STAND food sitting around. Heh.
I'm not perfect. And if I manage to clean up Elliot's toys strewn about the living room at night I can relax in peace. I just need to remember that my child is healthy and happy, and that's because I spend his waking hours taking care of HIM, not the chores around the house. And that's really what matters.
But, come on, a dirty banana piece from yesterday's breakfast?! That's disgusting. :)
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Just when you think you have it all under control...
Posted by lady gray at 7:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












3 comments:
I thought for sure you were going to say he had chewed up a black ball point pen, so I was so happy to read it was only a banana. I never have time to hose down the high chair every night.
ohmigod, chewed up ball point pen... that just gave me a new worry.
i definitely let him chew on a pink highlighter once (with the cap on, or so i thought) to later find pink all over his cheek.
whoops.
I can so relate to this post. I can sweep for hours and still my little dudes can find peas from who knows when, stray cheerios, cheese... you name it. But they are doing ok. And like you said, what matters is mama time, not the cleanest house in town :)
Post a Comment