Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Child has 5 Basketballs...



and he is only 9 months old. It's not a sports thing in general (I mean, he only has 1 football) it is a very specific basketball theme we have going on in our house. Not surprising, as my husband lives and breathes basketball... and yet kinda surprising, as I am 5'7" and Eric is 5'10" - so the odds of Elliot maturing into a 6'+ NBA stud are not genetically in his favor.

Still, my husband hopes he will. I remember specifically one day (a couple of years before we were engaged even) my husband and his best friend were discussing their respective girlfriends (mine and a now good friend of mine's) Athletic Genetic Stock. I got points for being naturally athletic, and coming from a family of generations of athletes (including a grandfather who played both basketball and football for USC, and is in Japan's Basketball Hall of Fame - that is a story for another day.)

My husband sits on the ground with Elliot and does beginner basketball drills. They each hold a basketball, and Eric encourages Elliot to pass the ball back and forth from hand to hand. It's endearing, and Elliot loves playing any game with this "Dadada" so I love it. And I know that whatever Elliot ends up becoming (NBA star, theatre actor like his dadada and mama, or heck, a rollerblading ice cream truck entrepreneur) as long as he is happy, we will be happy.

But it does make me wonder: In our secret heart of hearts, what do we REALLY wish our child will turn out to be? We all know what Eric's is... I'm trying to figure out what mine is... what's yours?

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Allen Iverson is only 6 feet tall!

I'm planning for my little guy to be a famous tennis player. Seems easy enough.

lady gray said...

Hahaha! Gen, you raise an excellent point. The other 1/2 of my family is full of tennis players... maybe I can convince Eric to go that route instead. :)

Post a Comment