Just so you'll know why I'm neglecting you: a quick update. This week, both Eric and I are performing in Stephen Sondheim's "Follies: In Concert." The "In Concert" bit means that we are performing (mostly) on book (aka, holding our script and our music) and at music stands with microphones. This also means that we only have a week to rehearse the show. To give you some perspective: for a "normal" show, you typically rehearse about 4 weeks. For other "concert" versions of shows I have done, we typically rehearse 2 weeks. So 1 week? For a Sondheim (read: musically difficult) show? HA! Crazy. It is a fun and FREAKISHLY FAST process that I am very glad to be a part of. Last night we ran the show for the first time, and tonight we move into the theatre. We perform Saturday and Sunday, and that's it!
The coolest parts? Not many people do Follies. It is (most consider) a flawed show and difficult to produce. We are performing it for a theatre who does concert versions of these rarely produced shows exclusively, so it is always a cool and unique experience. The cast is filled with AMAZING performers, and it is so much fun watching them strut their stuff every night. Also, my husband and I are performing together, which actually doesn't happen as often as our last two shows would lead you to think. :) (However, we are not cast "opposite" each other... we both have a different actor as our "romantic" partner. Always funny.)
My mom is in town helping out by watching Elliot every night, which is so amazing of her. I couldn't fathom asking for more babysitting help from all the friends who were generous enough to help with the last show. Thank goodness she is able to (and willing to) fly up for the entire week.
Lastly, we have auditions in Portland on Monday. So this means we close this current show Sunday, come home and pack, and get in the car first thing Monday morning to drive several hours and audition there. It also means that I have to re-memorize two monologues and choose a song to sing before then... which I haven't had the time to start doing yet. Whoops.
The sum of all these parts? I won't be blogging much this week. I just have to make it through this Monday alive and sane, and then I will be back Tuesday to share how it all went. :)
I hope your long weekend was amazing, and that the weather where you are is better than it is here. :)













4 comments:
Have FUN at the follies! I love going to follies - it's one of my favorite type of performances to watch. Good Luck at the auditions on Monday. You two will do great!
Break a leg this weekend and on your auditions as well! :) Wish I could see Follies- sounds fun!
Your life amazes me. Seems so fast paced, yet FUN! I cannot wait to hear about it next week :)
Break a leg! Boy I have not done any shows in a very long time. I used to do a lot of theater. That is great that you are so involved. Have a great time!!
Mama Hen
Post a Comment