Monday, June 14, 2010

The much anticipated (with joy and trepidation) night away from my bug...



I went to the bachelorette party of a friend this weekend, and as a result spent the FIRST night away from Elliot since he was born. I have been excited about this since I realized it would happen: the uninterrupted night of sleep, the (GASP) sleeping IN?! As well as worried: I have slept with my bug (in the same room) EVERY single night of his life since he was born over 10 months ago! Wouldn't I find it hard to sleep? Wouldn't I wake up worried? Turns out the answer is: No.

I don't know if it was the several bachelorette drinks I had over the course of the evening, or the ridiculously late bedtime (3 AM) or a combination of the two, but I slept like a freaking baby. (A phrase that now mystifies me, actually.) I woke at 7:45 with Boobs of Steel and had to pump, but then I went back to sleep and didn't wake until I was woken up at 11 AM. Additionally, I woke to the smells of waffles cooking in the next room... glorious.

I did realize that no matter what scenario I am in now, I am a Mom. A mom with a capital M. The 3 most sober ladies at the event were: Me, S (a mother of FIVE) and E (a mama-to-be.) We were the ones shepherding our sweet drunken friends home (using a Sober Buddy to Drunk Buddy walking system, no less) keeping everyone quiet in the halls of the hotel, making sure everyone had the water and Advil they needed... and I enjoyed it. It seems I can't quite let loose and let the Mama part of my brain go, but that's okay. It worked well as while we had a fantastic drunky, bar, dancing, late night celebration of our friend, the hangovers the next morning were extremely mild. Well done us.

I also realized that, after 3 years of serving at a restaurant while living in LA, I can't quite get rid of that part of my brain either. It's been over a year since I have waitressed, but when I saw that our poor bartender was overwhelmed I started bussing glassware and bringing it to the bar. Hysterical, but compulsive. I would dance my way across the dance floor, load up (using my SuperWaitress 3 glass carry) and shimmy glasses back to the bartender. He was grateful, and I suspect this is also why he ended up giving us 8 drinks for $16 (no joke.) I felt good for helping, he was appreciative, and all of the ladies felt great post cheap, cheap Lemon Drops... all good.

All in all, a busy but fantastic weekend... and I'm glad to be back on my couch in my pjs's, enjoying a cup of coffee. Now it's time to put the nose back to the grindstone, and get ready for a big audition coming up this Wednesday. No rest for this mama!

3 comments:

Desi said...

I feel the same way about "going out". Its never the same after a baby. I can't relax and just have the time that I used to, but like you said...thats ok :)

Unknown said...

Isn't a night away with the girls just the thing you need sometimes? I bet you'd be a blast to hang out with. You should shimmy shake your ass to new york for a long weekend ;)

Sounds like you had a great time!

Mama Hen said...

You have an award on Mama's Little Chick! You deserve it! Come and grab it!

Mama Hen

Post a Comment