Saturday, September 11, 2010

Something to Report (aka Sneaky Food Trick #2)

Elliot does not eat many veggies. More frustratingly, he doesn't eat a SINGLE green veggie. Fruit? Dairy? Grain? Yes yes yes. Veggies: it must be orange or he won't do it. Basically that leaves us with carrots or squash.

Enter the brilliance of Campell's Soup. It is full of vegetables, several of them green. These veggies are cooked to a nice mushy, easy to chew texture, while still being pick-up-able by wee hands. All veggies are soaked in a delicious, "Savory", salty broth. To me, this is the downside of feeding the soup to him, but to Elliot I'm sure it was just one of the many perks.

I was happily eating my bowl of soup, and of course anything I am eating Elliot wants to try. I started out easy, tossing a few carrots his way. He loved them. I got bolder, sending a green bean out. Then peas. Celery. HE ATE THEM ALL. Like, GOBBLED them up. I finally passed him a potato (a favorite of mine, being of good Irish stock, and something Elliot had not deigned to eat) and he LOVED it. I almost passed out with joy.

My child ate vegetables. Green, soggy, salty vegetables. My standards have sunk, yet I could not be prouder.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think sinking standards are part of the territory. ::Adding salty soup veggies to the menu::

Genevieve said...

Here is a tip! You can see if he will drink vegetable juice while he is boycotting the non-orange veggies. Some kids think its like a special treat. I prefer vodka in mine but he might like it plain ;) Anyway it's a good temporary way to cram in the nutrients until they decide that green beans are awesome. I might even throw in a little each day just to make sure Luke is getting enough.

Brandy said...

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! ;)

Post a Comment